Saturday, March 9, 2013

Toys on a tight, tight, really tight budget!

A small private rescue that was already on limited funds - lost a major income + was gouged by a local vet, make purchasing toys for the girls a bit daunting. But low and behold I remembered a trick I've used before - stuffed toys from Goodwill.

In the past I've purchased a huge bag full and dispensed one or two at a time per canine, the pickings weren't the most desirable for pet use so we carried nine toys home (3 per). This time we placed the toys in a laundry basket for the dog to get at will and they are loving this technique.

The big blue seal was priced $3.00, but the lady rang it up and all the others for $.50 each - so we spent $4.50 and the girls are happy. Not as good as a some Kong toys that would stand up to rough play, but they are fun to play with and help keep them from chewing on each other.




For Pepper it was a chance to watch the dog's excitement, but this was best observed from the safety of carrier kept 3 1/2 feet off the floor.

Toys provide mental stimulation for the animals, not to mention they absolutely love for us to give them things. After they give us so much - unselfishly - I feel as if it is the very least I can do. It is a shame it usually is the last thing on my list and has been bumped off the list way too many times.

Already have a line of Organic Cat Grass and Organic Catnip going up for sale this week at Canines & Felines Marketplace, but I also need to get a line of dog toys - stuffed at this point is all I can see - has to be Organic - has to be safe.

It is my desire to set up items I would purchase myself - safe and environmental friendly and sale them to raise money for the animals in our rescue.


Paca makes some of the most unusual faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to let us your valuable feedback, we do monitor the comment section and as of November 15, 2015 all relevant comments will be allowed. Please be respectful that this is a 'Open to the Public' blog, let us communicate properly. Offensive language will not be permitted.