Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Here to help

A couple of days ago my boyfriend and I was shopping in our local Publix grocery store when my cell rings, I answered the call. It is a gentleman looking for help for a stray dog that had been dumped near his home. I give my standard response of contacting the Greenville Humane Society and see if they can take him - I'm full. It always goes on just a bit more, I know each story has merit and each animal has a right to be loved and given a good home, each one matters.

I continue to listen to this gentleman who says that the neighbor's dog was hit by a vehicle the day before and that dog's owners are accusing this stray dog for the accident and are trying to kill him. The gentleman goes on to say that they came out with a shotgun and the gun wouldn't fire (here in my head I say 'thank you', that it didn't work).

"Greenville Humane Society is a no-kill shelter, they may charge you a fee for surrendering this animal, but really sir, what is a life worth to you"? It is my spill, I say it several times a week on the phone to people who call me trying to help an animal.

I listen to every caller, I don't judge - I'm glad they are trying. I try to help each one with as much information as they seem to be searching for. I can't take on the animals - I ran out of room. I have a couple of animals that need to go on to their forever home(s) before I can take on any more.

Animals are my life, I will do everything in my power to protect them, to heal them, to love them, and to show them respect. For the humans who care about animals, I'm here for them, to help them however I can. I'm a simple person with very lofty ideas - and the gumption to go for it!

Sheila and Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to let us your valuable feedback, we do monitor the comment section and as of November 15, 2015 all relevant comments will be allowed. Please be respectful that this is a 'Open to the Public' blog, let us communicate properly. Offensive language will not be permitted.