Saturday, March 9, 2013

Lil' Man

Late last week I had noticed Lil' Man spraying urine like a Tom, marking the back yard. As I hadn't ever noticed him doing this inside and there is a neighborhood cat that aggravates our kitties (by coming onto their property), I took it as a means of telling the other cat and all other felines that this is his place - so I let it go.

While refilling the outside water bowls a couple of days later I noticed a spray mark on a container - but this urine had noticeable blood specs in it. So an appointment was made for him at the vets to be checked out. Lil' Man is 8 years old so when a Senior evaluation was recommended I agreed.

On Wednesday (3/6), Lil' Man was weighed before his appointment - 16.7 lbs and was seen by one of the vets. She put her hand on his abdomen and felt around, she checked the inside of his mouth, she stroked his fur and petted his head - the whole time listening to me tell his medical history - how he had been on anti anxiety meds for urinating in his dad's suitcase a couple of years back - how me studying how cat's think through the book The Cat's Mind by Bruce Fogle DVM, taught me the benefit of letting him go outside and that cured the pissing inappropriately situation - so he came off the meds.

The vet states very early on that he probably has FLUTD Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease and the only way to treat that is thru meds or diet and there starts the spill for one of the brands of prescription pet food. We have a issue here - because I study behavior and nutrition and I've worked hard on getting them to a decent point with their diet - not wanting to upset all of that - and especially with not knowing for sure what is going on with Lil' Man.  Not going to go into all that took place - may write about all of that on my own personal blog - this blog is about the animals. But I will state that I truly felt that if I didn't agree to purchase a food from them, she was not going to go any further with Lil' Man's examination, that blood wouldn't be drawn and tested, that Lil' Man would continue to suffer.

Royal Canin Fel Urinary SO 7.7 lb dry     -    $37.50
Royal Canin Fel Urinary SO 5.8 oz can (6) - $11.10

Several things happened in succession concerning this vet's office and a whole feeling of being 'raked' over the coals by them. These things are relevant to this story but not to Lil' Man's health. (last one is relevant to his health)
  • The food has Chicken Meal as the first ingredient, the fourth is Corn Meal (any meal should never be your first ingredient - the commercial corn industry is completely dominated by Monsanto - GMO)
  • A order placed to 1 800 Pet Meds was denied by the vet's office, so Caroline will run out of her heartworm prevention this month.
  • Voicemail from the vet's office informing me of their policy concerning outside Rx suppliers.
  • Second voicemail relaying the results of Lil' Man's blood and urine tests, which told of a Urinary Tract Infection - NOT disease, and everything else - and I mean EVERYthing else came up perfect.
Lil' Man was prescribed ORBAX Oral Suspension (orbifloxacin) 1.8 cc once a day for 10 days. The vet stated that she wanted to see Lil' Man back 1 week after he finishes his antibiotics.

1 comment:

  1. Here is an update on Lil' Man, he seems to be doing fine after his round of antibiotics. No I didn't take him back to the vet, I haven't even taken back the high dollar feed they sold me and I won't feed to my animal friends.

    If your business practices send me into a monster then it is best I don't enter your establishment again - for all concerned!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to let us your valuable feedback, we do monitor the comment section and as of November 15, 2015 all relevant comments will be allowed. Please be respectful that this is a 'Open to the Public' blog, let us communicate properly. Offensive language will not be permitted.