Monday, October 12, 2015

One of the sweetest mares...

December of 2014 I moved back to Midway, Georgia and met some cool horse friends out at the barn where my girlfriend keeps her horse - Tracy. I fell in love with a black TWH named Diamond and met the sweetest mare I've ever met, close second place is my beloved Lady that belonged to my grandpa. This mare here was named Skittles when she came to the barn and was in a name change and was being called Lena when I met her, so that is what I know her by and then Sea Lena when I toyed with the idea of seeing if she wanted to go to Virginia - before I learned that her momma was in love with her.

All of a sudden my girlfriend informed me she was heading to the barn that Lena was experiencing colic. I declined going - I'm without some of my meds right now and not able to exert myself (can't bring it back). When she came home she declared the worst... and even more horrific is the owners were going to shoot her with a gun to save money from having the vet to come back out there and euthanize her. Oh my god, are you kidding me, your going to make that sweet mare go through that?! I can't throw any stones in their direction, I too am guilty of doing the same thing with my beloved Bonnie Sue, my Doberman guardian from my early 20's.

This poor mare was suffering a gnat bite dermatitis much like Beltania

Even as miserable as she had to be - she never not once acted out or was bitter.

Lena knows of no pain now.

The sweetest mare I've ever known. (Sheila)
Spring 2015 Lena, the sweetest mare. R.I.P.

Lena & Diamond Spring 2015

We went out to the barn this morning - Diamond was in pain with his front feet and Chuck thought he might be foundering. Not good! So we get there and get to work, cleaning out his hoof on his left front hoof, he wasn't sore, he was stinky but Lisa ensured me that was the normal (OMGdds), and not thrush, it has been a while since I messed with hooves and I just knew it smelled rotten to me.

Lisa used cold water and hosed him for apx 20 minutes and reduced the inflammation in the crook of his pastern hock. She thought it was from the horrible ground between the barn and water trough. Horrible black water mud mixture that has probably claimed a couple of Tracy's shoes and no doubt not helping the horses out any. She buted him a couple of g's and we let him loose in front of the barn area to graze on the grass, when the bute had set in we opened the gate and let him back into the pasture, he walked with a very sore limp to the hay bale and started eating. When he stepped again around the bale after a few minutes there was no real sign of pain in his walk so the bute had taken effect - he was in no pain right now and going to get his 'eat' on.

I didn't try to read the energy associated with his hoof, I would of rather a vet come and look, he could of pulled a ligament, or muscle, or tendon and he really needed a professional, but he also needed a dry pasture and fed two times a day, and told how gorgeous he is about a thousand times a day. I hate being like that and not trying to fix him, but I fear that I would be spending a good amount of energy and his condition would only improve for the smallest amounts of time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to let us your valuable feedback, we do monitor the comment section and as of November 15, 2015 all relevant comments will be allowed. Please be respectful that this is a 'Open to the Public' blog, let us communicate properly. Offensive language will not be permitted.